Also known in its Valencian form as Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències, the City of Arts and Sciences consists of 5 major components, all surrounded by scenic walkways, waterways and adjoining parking areas:
- El Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía — Opera house and performing arts centre
- L’Hemisfèric — Imax Cinema, Planetarium and Laserium
- L’Umbracle — Walkway / Garden
- El Museu de les Ciències Príncipe Felipe — Science museum
- L’Oceanogràfic — Open-air oceanographic park
The architecture is bold, imaginative and utterly breathtaking; the combination of the Hemisfèric and Science Music looks like the skeleton of an Ichthyosaur - thereby evoking some of the subject matter that may lie within, as well as connecting the structure to its aquatic surroundings.
The complex is stunning both day and night, but the lights in the evening give it an even grander, almost primordial resonance
I believe everyone owes themselves at least a day’s visit to view these magnificent structures, let alone considering their interior contents.